Hi. I'm Steve.
Developer, architect, consultant
My passion is technology.
My focus is architecting and developing cloud solutions.
I'm a Microsoft Certified Professional, a professional member of the Association for Computing Machinery, and a double graduate of Case Western Reserve University. I've had an interest in computers and technology since the early 1990s. It all started with QBasic and I haven't looked back since. I completed my master's thesis - Advanced Interface for Querying Graph Data - in January 2008. Since then, my professional career has spanned development, architecture, and management. My primary focus is on web-based technologies and public cloud solutions. I have over a decade of SharePoint development experience, with my more recent experience in Microsoft Azure, Office 365, and G Suite. Through my blog - Navigating the Maze - I hope to give back to the community that has supported me.
This one came up during a recent sprint of coding in which I was debugging a SharePoint 2013 farm solution (I know - apps are the way to go now!) with Visual Studio 2012. Let me say, since first starting development in MOSS 2007, this is a totally different and much smoother experience. I switched back-and-forth between using Visual Studio’s “Play” button - also known as “Start Debugging” - and a more traditional Build, Deploy, Attach to Process method.
As a SharePoint consultant, I really enjoy having a local copy of a full SharePoint server on my laptop. As I am patiently waiting for Windows 8 to release with Client Hyper-V, I’m continuing to use Oracle’s VirtualBox software to host my SharePoint development environments.
To help troubleshoot some SharePoint issues, I had a need to analyze some log files that were contained in multiple zip files; one log file per zip file. Since there were several hundred zip files to extract, I figured PowerShell could help! There are several posts I found with example scripts for how to perform this operation. I took pieces from many posts, added some COM object clean-up code, and wrapped this in a function. I hope it helps you in your scripting activities!